The ability to collect and analyze data from production equipment is crucial to manufacturing success because it gives businesses the information needed to make informed decisions. In essence, manufacturing intelligence software (MI) relates directly to data management that is handled by customized software. This software helps users improve manufacturing operations by enabling them to make better use of data that is available to them.
Manufacturing Intelligence Software Design
Manufacturing intelligence software is designed so that all manufacturing data in a factory or plant can be collated and combined for reports, analyses, and to create visual summaries. It is also used to pass data between plant-floor and enterprise-level systems. Because the data is extracted from many different sources, the ability of MI users to create new structures and use the information in a different context is especially important.
There are five core functions that a good manufacturing intelligence software application will have:
- Aggregation that gives users the ability to combine data from multiple sources into one new structure. This data is commonly extracted from databases.
- Contextualization that gives users the ability to create a new context for data for various different purposes.
- Analytical function that enables users to analyze data across production sites and other sources. This is particularly important for reporting.
- Visualization that provides tools that enable users to utilize data to create visual summaries.
- Propagation that automates the transfer of information and data from various systems.
Ways MI Helps Improve Systems and Processes
There are various ways that MI strategies can help improve manufacturing systems and processes using these core functions. MI strategies:
- Leverage reporting and analysis tools that can put data into context so that key factors can be monitored to improve quality, performance, and efficiency. Graphical reports make it easier to analyze progress and ongoing performance.
- Use visualization tools like dashboards to make simple, graphical key performance indicators (KPIs) that are presented as easy-to-read graphs and charts. Graphical KPIs make it easier to analyze information more quickly.
- Enable manufacturing energy management that captures, tracks, reports and analyzes data to monitor and optimize usage of energy by systems and processes. Not only is this an environmentally friendly way of operating, but it also saves money because it gives manufacturers the opportunity to take advantage of various energy incentives, rebates, and off-peak purchasing plans.
- Improve manufacturing performance and overall equipment effectiveness (OEE), providing critical insight into the management of production and plant performance.
The MESH Automation Solution for Manufactoring Intelligence Software
MESH Automation has considerable experience and expertise in deploying innovative MI systems that help customers monitor and measure their plant-floor operations more efficiently, giving them all the data needed to drive solutions.
Issues such as process constraints, operator performance, downtime causes, and inventory tracking can be quantified and used by operations and production managers to make improvements that have a direct impact on the bottom line.
Regardless of the industry your business operates in, MI solutions to consider include:
- Overall equipment effectiveness (OEE)
- Track and trace
- Statistical process control (SPC)
- Resource planning and scheduling
- Downtime tracking
- Power monitoring
- Proactive maintenance
- Batch processing
- Quality assurance
- Recipe management
- Performance tracking
- Warehouse management
Contact MESH today to learn more about our manufacturing intelligence solutions.