Robotic Stud Welding
Robotic Stud Welding Cell Case Study
- MESH designed, manufactured, integrated and started-up a custom engineered robotic stud welding cell for welding both standard capacitive discharge studs and collar studs.
- Cell was used to weld studs into electrical enclosures. Weld quality and stud accuracy was critical.
- Cell was part of a production line and needed to weld 5 to 9 studs in under 30 seconds.
- Automatic servo fixturing was utilized for automatic changeover between parts.
- Custom control system with an Allen Bradley Control Logix PLC
- Four customized HBS KAH412 Automatic stud guns
- One customized HBS C 08
- ATI automatic tool changers
- Two HBS VBZ Bowl feeders and four custom bowl feeders
- One HBS CDMi2402 and two HBS ARC 800 power supplies
- Customized escapements for stud picking
- Custom engineered servo fixturing.
- Fixture featured multiple grounding clamps to evenly distribute grounding spots.
- Fluoroclad SDFC was used on parts where spatter could stick. Additionally hardened tooling was used for grounding pads.
Final Project Outcome
- Productivity: Cell met all cycle time requirements, significantly reduced WIP in the factory and allow the customer to go to order based manufacturing.
- Quality: Stud were welded to within 0.008”. Additionally, poorly welded stud issues were eliminated.
- Uptime/ Maintenance: The cell achieved an OEE of 91%. Additionally, scheduled PM took considerably less time than required.
- Changeover Time: Instantly and 100% automatic
- Other: MESH installed a remote access system so MESH can support this customer without a visit to their factory.