Automotive Cam Phasers
A cam phaser is a modern device for valve timing in a modern internal combustion engine. There are two types of cam phasers for each engine – exhaust and intake. Both types appear to be identical, but subtle differences in their orientation are apparent upon further examination.
During assembly of a cam phaser, it is very important that all the machining and finishing were completed to the right tolerances. If not the cam phaser will fail costing the owner of the vehicle and the OEM to experience a catastrophic and costly repair.
It is important to test and document the assemblies critical parameters like correct spring tension, correct press force, is the debris screen present, are the right parts on the right phaser and has the correct pressing distance been accomplished.
In this case study, the customer required three semi automated machines that could provide the correct tooling for a progress assembly, provide the data and reject parameters during assembly and would have error proofing (Poke Yoke) to assure the right parts and tooling were being used.
A semiautomatic process was chosen due to the limited volume needed through the product cycle.
After a thorough process review with the customer and a good understanding of the raw material variability MESH designed, and built three machines that accomplished these tasks.
- 5-ton presses used for the main process.
- Poka-yoke mechanisms in place to prevent the wrong tooling from being used by operator.
- Force and displacement sensors used to monitor and document actual press force and distance per end user specifications.
- Various other sensors used to ensure holes were machined in the correct place.
- Laser sensors used to verify correct product in place and properly seated
- Capacity Requirement: 30 seconds / piece
- Expected Utilization Rate: 16 hours / 5 days
- Allowable Scrap Rate: < 1%
- Equipment Availability: > 90%
- Tooling changeover to take 15 minutes or less
The MESH Automation Difference
At MESH, we partner with our customers and aim to exceed your expectations at every step of the project. This means we learn about your production needs and gain a thorough understanding of the manufacturing process of your product and your plant culture before we develop a solution for you. Contact us and we will suggest ways to help you improve productivity that will boost your bottom line.
Contact us today to discuss how we can develop a manufacturing solution that could help your business optimize productivity, increase efficiency, and potentially cut costs.
Click here to download our brochure and learn more about MESH Automation’s complete industrial and factory automation solutions.